Sri Lanka has joined the list of destinations that have eased their travel restrictions during the pandemic.
So what is a bio bubble and how can you travel safely within Sri Lanka?
A bio bubble allows tourists that are tested negative from COVID and are vaccinated to travel with some restrictions on movement. Regular COVID tests are conducted on the groups traveling within the bio bubble to ensure the bubble is maintained.
Let’s take a look at the current quarantine measures for travelers visiting Sri Lanka;
- Foreign Travelers – Regardless of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status are required to be quarantined at a quarantined hotel upon conducting a PCR test on arrival and testing negative. A positive test result will require the traveler to be admitted to an immediate care center.
- Sri Lankans/ Dual Citizens who are not vaccinated or departs within two weeks of vaccination – A PCR test is conducted upon arrival and directed to a quarantine center or quarantine hotel and if PCR test is negative on days 11-14, they will be released from institutional quarantine after the 14-day completion.
- Fully Vaccinated Sri Lankans and Dual Citizens (departing two weeks of completion of vaccination) – Will be placed in a quarantine center/ quarantine hotel. PCR test will be conducted upon arrival if results are negative, the individual will be placed on a mandatory quarantine at home with MOH supervision and once 14 days are complete a PCR will be conducted and if negative, the individual will be released from home quarantine. Any Sri Lankans and dual citizens with positive PCR results will be admitted to an immediate care center/ designated hospital.
- Approved Foreign National Staff of Diplomatic Missions in Sri Lanka, Foreign National Heads of UN Organizations, and UN Specialized agencies – The individual will be placed in an area MOH-approved quarantine residence/ a quarantined hotel, and a PCR test will be conducted upon arrival. If found positive, the individual will be admitted to an Immediate Care Centre and if found negative along with day 11-14 PCR tests resulting negative, the individual will be released from quarantine.
- The current sites that can be visited during inbound travel are as follows;
Sigiriya – open for afternoon visits only for foreign travelers on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Polonnaruwa – Open for afternoon visits only for foreign travelers on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Watch this space for further updates. Safe Travels!